Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Marlboro Man


I get emails all the time from people all over the world who look at my artwork. Sometimes they ask about certain pieces or they would like to know where they could see it in person. Sometimes they just want to say that they like it. Most of the times they are quite complimentary. One time--and I still don't know if it was a joke--I got one that said that the women I painted were impossibly pretty and that I was perpetuating negative stereotypes of women as helpless airheads. Ouch.
But the truth is, I'm an equal-opportunity stereotyper. The men I paint all look like the Marloboro Man, and we all know that all men are 6'3", ruggedly handsome, buffed-up and have a full head of wavy hair that always falls into place. Of course, I do love the juxtaposition of taking Mr. Virile and having him say something very 1950s Sandra Dee.

1 comment:

Amber! said...

It seems to me that the someone who said your paintings perpetuated negative stereotypes takes themself a little to seriously. :) I thought your marlboro man was wonderful.

:)