Friday, July 13, 2007

Man Flesh


The first time I painted a Marlboro Man, I used the same color of flesh tone that I used for my women characters (yes, I did about half a dozen women before I worked on a man). I looked at it and I thought to myself, "damn, he looks really, umm, dainty." I mean with his pink, dewey skin and his perfect complexion, he looked like he had just had a facial. Well, this is no good. I started looking around at people and I did notice that men's complexions generally tend to be a little darker. Of course a latina is likely to have darker skin than Hans the Swede, but overall, when taken from the same stock, men seem to be a little darker and a little less rosy. I toned down the flesh and it ended up looking a lot better. I'm thinking of giving this guy a slightly unshaven look. We'll see.

No comments: